Curtis A. Hanson, MD
You are here
Dr. Curtis A. Hanson was born in Champaign, Illinois and raised in Austin, Texas. He attended the University of Arizona, Tucson for his undergraduate degree and The University of Texas Medical Branch for his medical degree. He completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was named Resident of the Year by the WakeMed Department of Orthopedics and was awarded the Resident Research Award & Resident Teaching Award by the UNC Department of Orthopedics.
Dr. Hanson's research has been published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine, as well as the Journal of Hand Surgery. Dr. Hanson has also presented his research to the North Carolina Society for Hand Surgery. He completed a fellowship in knee surgery at Royal North Shore Hospital with the Sydney Orthopedic Research Institute in Sydney, Australia. He specializes in disorders of the knee, including sports injuries, arthritis and trauma. His specialty training includes arthroscopic surgery, joint replacement and limb realignment procedures.
Dr. Hanson resides in North Raleigh with his wife. In his spare time, he enjoys scuba diving, snowboarding, cycling, and surfing.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- William C. Palton Resident Teaching Award
- UNC Department of Orthopaedics Resident Research Award
- WakeMed Department of Orthopaedics Resident of the Year
- The University of Texas Medical Branch, School of Medicine, Valedictorian
- The University of Texas Medical Branch Dean's List
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Inducted junior year
- Undergraduate: University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, BS Mechanical Engineering
- Medical School: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Tx
Post Graduate Training:
- Residency: Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- Fellowship: Knee Fellowship, Royal North Shore Hospital/Sydney Orthopaedic Research Institute, Sydney, Australia
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthoapedic Surgery