Ronald Alan Summers, MD
You are here
Dr. Summers is a board certified Orthopedic Surgeon and a fellow of both the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine.
Originally from Del Mar, California, he completed his undergraduate degree at Stanford University, where he played football and rugby. He went on to serve as a research assistant at the University of California-San Diego in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Biochemistry Division, and then attended medical school at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Following an internship with the Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, NE, Dr. Summers completed the San Francisco Orthopedic Residency Program at St. Mary's Hospital and an Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellowship at the Hughston Sports Medicine Foundation in Columbus, GA.
Dr. Summers is an active member of the American Medical Association, North Carolina Medical Society, North Carolina Orthopedic Society and the Wake County Medical Society. He previously served as the team doctor to Enloe High School in Raleigh, Athens Drive High School, Green Hope High School, and Middle Creek High School in Apex for more than ten years. In 2009, he received the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Award for Medical Service to Member Schools. Dr. Summers also participates in high school student health science mentor programs.
Dr. Summers is an accomplished surgeon with an expertise in Sports Medicine and arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder and knee. He cares for a variety of orthopedic conditions and feels well suited to care for all patients, from pediatrics to geriatrics.
Connect with Dr. Summers and Wake Orthopaedics
- Undergraduate: Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Medical School: University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, Kansas
Post Graduate Training:
- Residency: Orthopedic Residency Program at St. Mary's Hospital, San Francisco, CA
- Fellowship: Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship, Hughston Sports Medicine Foundation, Columbus, GA
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow of both the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
Honors and Awards:
- North Carolina High School Athletic Association Award for Medical Service to Member Schools