Gurvinder S. Deol, MD
You are here
Dr. Gurvinder S. Deol is a board certified (FAAOS), fellowship-trained Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. He has a well-known reputation for excellent outcomes and cutting-edge procedures, and has extensive experience in the field of minimally invasive spine surgery. He frequently teaches techniques to neurosurgeons and spinal surgeons from around the world, and has recently developed new minimally invasive spinal technology that allows for more rapid recovery and minimizes postoperative pain typically associated with spinal surgery.
Dr. Deol has expertise in the diagnosis and management of complex degenerative disorders of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. He also specializes in spinal trauma, spinal deformity surgery, and spinal tumors.
Dr. Deol completed his undergraduate education at North Carolina State University and subsequently attended medical school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After completing his Orthopedic Surgery residency at Penn State College of Medicine, he was accepted at the prestigious Rush University Medical Center spinal surgery fellowship. At Rush, he trained under the finest spinal surgeons in the world with a focus on complex reconstructive surgery and minimally invasive procedures. He had the good fortune of learning from Dr. Frank Phillips, one of the pioneers in minimally invasive spine surgery.
Dr. Deol has been published in major medical journals and presented at national and regional medical conferences, in addition to authoring chapters on spinal surgery. He frequently trains surgeons who observe his newly advanced surgical techniques in the operating room, and he teaches surgeons at conferences worldwide. He was recently invited to speak in Amsterdam and the United Kingdom to teach the new minimally invasive technique he helped develop.
Dr. Deol is happy to call Raleigh home, where he lives with his wife and five children. He takes pride in his ability to understand and relate to his patients and goes to great lengths to inform patients in a way that is clear and informative. The trust and confidence patients place in him, as well as his excellent outcomes, have made him popular among patients in the Triangle. Click here to read the case study of one of his Cary, NC patients.
Connect with Dr. Deol and Wake Orthopaedics
- Undergraduate: North Carolina State University (1988-1992)
- Medical School: UNC School of Medicine (1992-1996)
- Residency: Penn State University College of Medicine (1996-2002)
- Fellowship: Rush University Medical Center, Chicago (2002-2003)
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Spinal reconstruction cervical/thoracic/lumbar
- Motion preserving spinal procedures
- Disc replacement surgery
- Microscopic surgery
- Scoliosis surgery
- Anterior lumbar and thoracic surgery
- Outpatient discectomy, outpatient fusion
- Spinal Trauma Surgery
- Spinal Tumor Surgery
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fellow
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Diplomat
- AO Spine North America, Faculty
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- North American Spine Society
- North Carolina Spine Society, President, 2016
- Society of Lateral Access Surgery
- Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery