Jonathan D. Chappell, MD
You are here
Dr. Jonathan Chappell was born and raised in Mooresville, North Carolina. He received his bachelor's degree from Davidson College and attended medical school at Duke University School of Medicine in Durham.
He completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine and then continued his postgraduate training with a fellowship in sports medicine at Kerlan-Jobe Sports Institute in Los Angeles, California. He is board certified in both Orthopedics and Orthopedic Sports Medicine.
Dr. Chappell has presented research both internationally and nationally and is a reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine. He has demonstrated his dedication to the profession by serving as the Team Physician for Loyola Marymount University and as the assistant to the Team Physician for the Los Angeles Lakers, Kings, Dodgers, Galaxy, and the Anaheim Ducks. Dr. Chappell is currently the Team Physician for the North Carolina Football Club (NCFC) professional soccer team. Dr. Chappell's specialty interests include sports medicine, rotator cuff injuries, shoulder instability, ACL reconstruction, knee arthroscopy and shoulder replacement surgery, including reverse total shoulder replacements.
Dr. Chappell resides in Raleigh with his wife, where he enjoys running, snowboarding, soccer, and tennis.
- Undergraduate: Davidson College, Davidson, NC, Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude
- Medical School: Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, Doctor of Medicine
Post Graduate Training:
- Internship: General Surgery, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Fellowship: Sports Medicine, Kerlan-Job Sports Institute, Los Angeles, CA Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthoapedic Surgery
Honors and Awards:
- Nominated for the Charles Neer Award by the Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgeons
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society