Dr. Kristin Alves, MD, MPH
You are here
Dr. Kristin Alves is a fellowship-trained pediatric orthopedic surgeon. A North Carolina native, she received her bachelor’s degree from Duke University and crossed the 8-mile divide for medical school at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. She completed her orthopedic surgical residency at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Program in Boston. She then completed her fellowship at Boston Children’s hospital with a focus on the lower extremity, limb deformity, neuromuscular care, hip preservation, and comprehensive orthopedic care from infancy through young adulthood.
Dr. Alves’s greatest interests are in the operative and non-operative treatment of pediatric traumatic injury and conditions of the pediatric lower extremity (developmental hip dysplasia, slipped capital epiphysis, Perthes, limb deformity including Blount’s, traumatic deformity, etc.) and pediatric foot and ankle (clubfoot, vertical talus, flatfoot, tarsal coalition, etc). She has had additional training with a traveling fellowship at the International Center for Limb Lengthening center in Baltimore with Dr. John Herzenberg working developing skills in limb deformity and lengthening.
Dr. Alves has worked on a number of outreach and international projects to increase knowledge of pediatric orthopaedic care worldwide. She enjoys taking care of complex challenges of traumatic and congenital limb deformity and caring for the unique injuries of growing children and adolescents. Her free time is spent with her husky Houdini hiking on trails and exploring the mountains whenever possible.
Connect with Dr. Alves and Wake Orthopaedics
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science, Duke University
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine with Distinction, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Post Graduate Training:
- Public Health: Masters in Public Health, Harvard School of Public Health
- Residency: Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Program
- Fellowship: Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery, Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Honors and Awards:
- Member, Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America, 2020
- Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Best Clinical Research Paper, 2019
- American Medical Women’s Association Glasgow-Ruben Certificate of Academic Achievement, 2012
- Eugene S. Mayer Community Service Honor Society, 2010
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 2008