Mark L. Wood, MD
You are here
Dr. Mark Wood was born and raised in North Carolina. He received his bachelor's degree from North Carolina State University, graduating Summa Cum Laude and completed medical school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, earning the degree of Doctor of Medicine with Honors. He continued his training in Orthopaedic Surgery at UNC prior to earning Board Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. He is married and has two daughters and a son.
Dr. Wood's focus is Sports Medicine and the diagnosis and treatment of knee and shoulder injuries and disorders. His specialty interests are in arthroscopic surgery, with an emphasis on rotator cuff repair, shoulder instability, and minimally invasive knee procedures including ligament (ACL) reconstruction.
Dr. Wood continues to be recognized for his achievements and excellence to the profession and his unbending dedication to his patients and community. He serves as the Medical Director and provides Sports Medicine Coverage for North Carolina FC Youth, the largest youth-to-pro soccer club in the nation. He also serves as the Sports Medicine Doctor for Trinity Academy and is the Team Physician Supervisor for both organization's Athletic Trainers. He is the Chief Medical Officer at Swing Racquet and Paddle, a facility dedicated to racquet sports with a focus on sports science, injury prevention/prediction, physical therapy, sports medicine, health and innovation. He was honored to be selected to serve as the venue Medical Director for the CONCACAF Women's Soccer World Cup qualifier tournament featuring the 2019 US Women's National Team en route to their 4th World Cup Championship. He has expertise in youth sports overuse and ACL injury prevention and has directed educational collaboratives with North Carolina FC Youth, WakeMed, SafeKids USA, the Carolina Railhawks, the Capital Area Soccer League (CASL) and the FIFA, US soccer/Depuy Sports Medicine programs. He helped create and oversees the safe return to sports protocols as part of the North Carolina FC Youth Sports Medicine team. Sports injury prevention and safe return to sports information can be found in the HEALTH LIBRARY.
Dr. Wood is a founding member of Wake Orthopaedics, a practice that was created, built and remains committed to patient satisfaction and meeting the individual needs of every patient. In addition to his primary focus on clinical patient care, Dr. Wood has balanced multiple leadership appointments focused on the patient and family-centred care approach by creating the highest quality and best patient experience at the lowest cost of care in the region. His work with WakeMed Key Community Care Accountable Care Organization (WKCC ACO), WakeMed Health and Hospitals and local sub-specialty surgeons has been focused on navigating the evolution of health care reform and keeping the patient and family as the top priority. Over the past 16 years, he has served in various roles including Medical Director for Wake Orthopaedics, Executive Medical Director for WakeMed Surgery, Medical Director of the WakeMed Orthopaedic Serve Line and as a Mentor in the SAS/Goodnight Scholars program through NC State University. In addition, he also is appointed as a UNC Orthopaedics Adjunct Clinical Professor for medical education and a Campbell University Medical School Research Scholars Program Mentor for his research that is focused on ACL injuries in Youth Athletes. Dr. Wood has presented his research at the local, regional and national levels and has multiple publications in the medical literature.
Dr. Wood believes that providing patient education and involving the patient in the treatment plan are critical to expectations and outcomes. His HEALTH LIBRARY was created for patient education, which provides videos, information, resources, and online printable material to help make decision-making, treatment, and recovery as quick and pain-free as possible.
When he's not tending to patients, Dr. Wood enjoys tennis, boating, fishing, snow skiing, traveling and cheering for his family's athletic events.
Connect with Dr. Wood and Wake Orthopaedics
- Undergraduate: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry, Summa Cum Laude
- Medical School: The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, Doctor of Medicine with Honors
Post Graduate Training:
- Internship: General Surgery, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Board Certified, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Current & Past Appointments:
- Medical Director, North Carolina FC Youth
- Chief Medical Officer, SWING Racquet and Paddle
- Executive Medical Director, WakeMed Surgery
- Medical Director, Orthopaedic Service Line, Wake Medical Center
- Medical Director, Wake Orthopaedics
- Board Member, North Carolina FC Youth
- COVID-19 Task Force Team, North Carolina FC Youth
- Board of Governors, Capital City Surgery Center
- Board Member, WKCC Accountable Care Organization
- Chair, WKCC ACO Network, and Credentialing Committee
- Mentor, Campbell School of Medicine Research Scholars Program
- Medical Advisory Council, Anutra Medical
- Clinical Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina Department of Orthopaedics
- Medical Advisory Board, Myco Medical Incorporated
- Member, Medical Steering Committee, Capital City Surgery Center
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine provider - North Carolina FC Youth
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine provider - Trinity Academy
- Director of Orthopaedics, Wake Medical Center
- Chairman, Physician Services Organization Operations Committee, WakeMed Specialty Physicians
- Member, Operation Room Committee, WakeMed North Hospital
- Physician Director, Wake Orthopaedics Cary Office
- Board Member, Marshwalk by the Sea POA
- Assistant Coach, Wake County Basketball Association
- Coach, Capital Area Soccer League
- Chief, YMCA Indian Princess Program
- Co-Chair, The Raleigh School Annual Fund
- Member, The Raleigh School Safety Committee
- Physician Staff Advocate, Wake Orthopaedics
- Captain, Brier Creek Tennis Men's Teams
Honors and Awards:
- 2020 PRC 5-Star Excellence Award - Top 10% National, Overall Quality of Care
- 2020 NC Top Doc Award
- 2019 PRC 5-Star Excellence Award - Top 10% National, Overall Quality of Care
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Highest Medical Honors, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- 2017 PRC 5-Star Excellence Award - Top 10% National, Overall Quality of Care
- National Most Compassionate Doctor Award
- Top 10 Doctor Award, North Carolina
- Patients' Choice Award
- On-Time Doctor Award
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Highest University Honors, North Carolina State University
- Phi Lambda Upsilon National Chemical Honor Society
- Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society
- Order of Saint Patrick Freshman Honor Society
- Excellence in Orthopaedic Research Award, University of North Carolina Department of Orthopaedics
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of North Carolina Department of Surgery
- Academic Merit Scholarship
- North Carolina Cooperative Education Student of the Year, 1994
- Dean's List, every semester
- John B. Graham Medical Student Research Travel Award
- John B. Graham Research Society, Inducted Spring
- National Institute of Health Research Grant
- National Institute of Health Research Travel Award
- Medical Alumni Loyalty Four year Academic Scholarship, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Edwards-Hobgood Distinguished Scholarship, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Burroughs Wellcome Company Excellence Award
"Dr. Wood performed an ACL reconstruction on our 13-year-old daughter, and we feel extremely blessed to have gone through this very scary ordeal with him by our side. Dr. Wood made sure we were educated on all options, medical research/studies, and possible outcomes, so we could make an informed decision. He is incredibly communicative, compassionate and perceptive to the needs of his patients, and their concerned parents. Post-surgery, Dr. Wood remains committed to checking in on her well-being and ensuring her ultimate recovery and safe return to sports. We cannot express the sheer depth of our gratitude to Dr. Wood and the team at Wake Orthopaedics. He is truly the best of the best"
"I would like to give Dr. Wood some praise. He is a caring and professional person and feel he went out of his way to help our daughter and our family. We could not think any more highly of him and his practice and will be forever grateful. His PT group with Luke Hudson was also excellent. Top quality and Luke has gone out of his way to ensure our daughter's success as well. We could not be happier with the experience, efforts of all involved, and overall results. Stronger than she ever has been and one happy child."
"I severely damaged my Rotator Cuff requiring 3 separate procedures to correct. As I was 69 at the time of surgery, full restoration was difficult and in doubt. I am pleased to say I have regained full strength and motion. Dr. Wood is not only highly qualified but also personable and communicates conditions and outcomes very well. I highly recommend him and his supporting staff."
"Dr. Wood has been treating my wife for bad knees and that is where I got to see him in action. His professionalism mixed with compassion and humor are a winning combination for anyone in need of medical treatment. Fast forward and I went to Dr. Wood with a torn meniscus which had been causing me a lot of discomfort. he looked for the problem with least invasive x-ray and moved on to an MRI which revealed the tear in the meniscus. When consulting he gave me all of the details I needed to make an informed decision. I asked him to surgically repair the tear and look for other damage. A couple days later I went in for surgery and the supporting staff was professional, kind and compassionate. Surgery lasted 30 minutes and after recovery from anesthesia, I was able to put some weight on my knee to get into the car. I iced my knee and took drugs and pain medications for 2 days, didn't really need them so I stopped and have been walking without any crutches since. I am at day 11 and will be going back to work this week. A miracle might a little overboard but walking so soon without pain is close. I highly recommend Dr. Wood."
"New to the area my brother in law recommended Dr. Wood who performed his Rotator Cuff surgery. I have had two previous Rotator Cuff surgeries and Dr. Wood performed the third. I am here to tell you it was by far the greatest experience I've had. My previous surgeon was very experienced but Dr. Wood's surgery had me on a much faster track to recovery. His professionalism and expertise are above reproach. If you are in need of a GREAT Orthopedic surgeon look no further than Dr. Mark Wood."
"Dr. Wood did an outstanding job with my daughter for her ACL reconstruction. She is now back to competitive soccer 9 months after surgery. He took the time to explain everything and cited studies to back up his treatment plan. Never had to wait long and everything was set up easily with surgery and post-care. As a physical therapist, I have been very impressed and have already recommended patients of mine."
"From my first visit until my last follow-up appointment after Rotator Cuff Surgery, Dr. Wood educated me on every step of the process. From diagnosing the tear to treatment options, and follow-through of my surgery, I had an understanding of exactly what my options were, the plan we choose, and what to expect during each stage (good or bad). Dr. Wood always listened to my questions and concerns and answered them as thoroughly as he could. Even on the day of surgery, he explained to my parents exactly what has been corrected in my shoulder, what my care needed to be in the days to come, and answered their questions just as thoroughly as he had mine. In my opinion, Dr. Wood and his nurse Kristy Poole made me feel as if their first priority was getting shoulder healed and I back to the active lifestyle I was accustomed to. I would highly recommend Dr. Mark Wood."
"Excellent Surgeon...My son had to have shoulder surgery. Dr. Wood was great in explaining what needed to happen, the procedure and the expected outcome. He has seen several members of my family from shoulders to knees with great overall outcomes. Highly recommend him and his staff.."
"I saw Dr. Wood for knee pain, and an MRI diagnosed a full ACL tear with multiple multi-plane meniscus tears (he even called me from his vacation to go over the results!). He was professional, thorough, took the time to answer my multitude of questions, and his work was excellent. My scarring is minimal, his bedside manner was excellent, and my function is returning right on schedule."
"Dr. Wood was outstanding. From the time my daughter tore her ACL through her recovery, he was everything we could hope for and more. He was knowledgeable, informative, compassionate and attentive to detail. The surgery was a success and her recovery progressed without issue. She is now over one-year post-surgery and has no limitations or restrictions. I highly recommend Dr. Wood."