Michael Ruffolo, MD
You are here
Dr. Michael Ruffolo is a fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in minimally invasive and complex hip and knee replacement surgery.
He was born in Indianapolis, Indiana but spent his formative years in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Dr. Ruffolo received his bachelor's degree from the University of North Carolina and attended medical school at West Virginia University School of Medicine. He completed his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at Carolinas Medical Center/OrthoCarolina in Charlotte prior to his fellowship in Adult Reconstruction at the prestigious Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
Dr. Ruffolo’s practice focuses on the optimal treatment of patients undergoing hip and knee replacement. He emphasizes minimally invasive techniques and efficient pain control to allow for rapid recovery and outpatient surgery. In addition, he specializes in difficult problems in hip and knee arthroplasty, including complex reconstructions and revision surgery.
He is a candidate member in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. His research has been presented at national meetings and has been published in leading orthopaedic journals. He remains active in these societies and employs the most up-to-date information to take the best care of his patients.
Dr. Ruffolo lives in Cary with his wife and daughter. In his spare time he enjoys movies, skiing, mountain biking, and gardening.
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC – Highest Honors with Distinction
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV – High Honors
Post Graduate Training:
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center/OrthoCarolina, Charlotte, NC
- Fellowship: Adult Reconstruction – Rush University, Chicago, IL
Honors and Awards:
- Merck Award for Academic Excellence in Clinical Medicine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- American Society of Clinical Pathology Award for Academic Excellence and Achievement
- Dean’s Award Scholarship
- Prescott Award for Academic Excellence
- Direct Anterior Hip Replacement
- Mini-Posterior Hip Replacement
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement
- Complex Hip and Knee Replacement
- Revision Hip and Knee Replacement
- Periprosthetic Fracture Care
- Management of Periprosthetic Infection