Robert G. Howard, MD
You are here
Dr. Howard was born and raised in Boston, MA. He attended Boston University, earning his bachelor’s degree with high honors in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. After a productive stint in academic bio-molecular research, he continued towards earning his medical degree with honors at Boston University School of Medicine. His residency in Orthopedic Surgery was completed at The State University of New York Health Science Center in Brooklyn, New York. He completed fellowship training in Orthopedic Trauma Surgery at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC.
Dr. Howard has been a member of Wake Orthopaedics since 2009. His clinical expertise includes the management of complex traumatic injuries including pelvic surgery, acetabulum (hip socket) surgery and complex upper/lower extremity trauma. Other areas of clinical expertise include the management of hip conditions ranging from young adult to elderly patients. He has special interests in hip arthroscopy for the management of femoroacetabular impingement and hip replacement.
Dr. Howard has also been involved in research and teaching. He has numerous publications in the areas of bio-molecular research and orthopedic trauma, and he has received multiple awards for surgical teaching excellence.
Dr. Howard resides in Raleigh with his wife and four children.
- Undergraduate: Boston University, Boston, MA, Bachelor of Arts, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Medical School: Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, Doctor of Medicine
Post Graduate Training:
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, State University of New York Health Sciences Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Fellowship: Orthopaedic Trauma, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Honors and Awards:
- Magna Cum Laude (Undergraduate)
- Cum Laude (Graduate)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- National Collegiate Medical Professional Award
- USAA All-American Scholar Collegiate Award
- 2nd Annual Lois Ann Nichols Award for Outstanding Teaching Fellow