Ryan D. Gentry, MD
You are here
Dr. Ryan D. Gentry is a fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon. He completed his undergraduate education at the University of Alabama where he graduated summa cum laude. He attended medical school at the University of South Alabama where he graduated at the top of his class.
On completion of his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of North Carolina he continued his post-graduate training with a Spine Surgery Fellowship at the University of Maryland/R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, MD.
Dr. Gentry has presented research at national and international conferences in addition to having articles published in various medical journals. He treats all disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. He has special interests in complex reconstructions, robotic surgery, and minimally invasive spine surgery.
He currently lives in Raleigh where he enjoys playing golf, traveling, being outdoors, and exploring new restaurants.
Connect with Dr. Gentry and Wake Orthopaedics
- Undergraduate: BS in Biology, Summa Cum Laude, University of Alabama
- Medical School: University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, University of North Carolina Hospitals
- Fellowship: Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, University of Maryland Medical Center / R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
Honors and Awards:
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Resident of the Year, WakeMed Department of Orthopaedics
- Dean's Award, University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- Dr. Lewis D. Anderson Award of Excellence in Orthopaedics Surgery
- Michael L. Moore Jr. Memorial Award for the Outstanding Student in Gross Anatomy
- Charles Williams Urschel Award in Physiology
- Charles M. Baugh Award in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Presidential Scholar, University of Alabama
- Distinguished Undergraduate Scholar, University of Alabama
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- AO Spine North America
- North Carolina Spine Society
"A couple of weeks ago my daughter fell down our front steps and she had fractured her thoracic spine T6-T8, Wake Orthopaedics called and we had an appointment the next week. My daughter's appointment was at 1:20 and we came in the door at 1. They scanned us to see if we had a fever, we went right into a room and the nurse was wonderful with my daughter. Dr. Ryan Gentry was AWESOME. He listened to my little girl, gave us instructions of what not to do since she was still healing. Thank you guys for a wonderful experience. My daughter was already scared and you made her feel comfortable and she can't wait to see you in 6 weeks."
"Dr. Gentry and his medical assistant Jackie were both excellent in all aspects. They were professional yet personable. Very supportive and respectful. Dr. Gentry provided excellent care from diagnosis, treatment, pain control and post op care. Jackie was the best medical assistant I've had the pleasure to be involved in my care. She followed through on everything from making sure she returned all called timely and seeing my FMLA went through without a glitch the first time around. I'm sincerely thankful for you both!"
"Dr. Gentry didn't hesitate with my situation. I was in constant pain and he brought me in and took care of my situation and I'm very grateful for him and his medical staff they were very professional, kind and respectful. I enjoyed my time there in the hospital."