Ryan Li, MD
You are here
Dr. Ryan Li grew up in the small town of Lancaster, Ohio. He received his bachelor's degree from Case Western Reserve University and his medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh. He completed his orthopaedic residency at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center. He then returned to Pittsburgh to complete a fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Li continues to be active in research and has authored a number of peer-reviewed studies. He regularly presents his work at both national and international meetings and stays active in multiple sports medicine and orthopedic societies. He has special clinical and research interests in improving the management of complex shoulder instability and hip impingement, including the use of hip arthroscopy. Other clinical interests include management of ACL and multi ligamentous knee injuries, shoulder arthritis, and rotator cuff injuries. In the past, he has provided team coverage at the high school, collegiate, and professional levels. He has served as an associate team physician for University of Pittsburgh and Robert Morris University sports and has helped care for athletes from the Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Pittsburgh Penguins.
In his free time, Dr. Li enjoys running, hiking, snowboarding, and travelling. He recently moved to the triangle area looks forward to exploring all that the area has to offer with his wife.
Connect with Dr. Li and Wake Orthopaedics
- Bachelor's Degree, Case Western Reserve University
- Medical Degree, University of Pittsburgh
Post Graduate Training:
- Orthopaedic Residency, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
- Sports Medicine & Shoulder Surgery Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Memberships & Publications:
1. Li RT, Gould, H, Hu, E, Salata, MJ, Liu, RW. “Does Pelvic Rotation Alter Radiographic Parameters of Acetabular Coverage?” Accepted to Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery
2. Li, RT., Liu, RW, Neral, M, Gould, H, Hu, E, Nho, S, Salata, MJ. “Pelvic incidence is influenced by pelvic rotation in plain radiographs.” American Journal of Sports Medicine46(9): 2089-2095
3. Morris, WZ, Li, RT, Liu, RW, Salata, MJ, Voos, JE. “Origin of Cam Morphology in Femoroacetabular Impingement.” American Journal of Sports Medicine 46(2): 478-486
4. Morris WZ, Li RT, and Liu RW. "The ‘triradiate bump’: a novel radiographic sign that may confound assessment of acetabular retroversion."Journal of children's orthopaedics(2016): 1-7.
5. Li RT, et al. "Wearable performance devices in sports medicine." Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach 8.1 (2016): 74-78.
6. Li RT,Borrero CG, Irrgang JJ. Clinical Response after Meniscectomy in the Aging Population: Data from the Knee Osteoarthritis Initiative. Pittsburgh Orthopedic Journal, 2012
7. Li RT,Borrero CG, Irrgang JJ.Degenerative Meniscus Tears in the Aging Population: Data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative. Pittsburgh Orthopedic Journal, 2012
8. Li RT, Lorenz S, Harner CD, Fu FH, Irrgang JJ. “Predictors of Knee Osteoarthritis after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.” American Journal of Sports Medicine2011 39(12): 2592-2603
9. Erickson IE, Huang AH, Chung C, Li R, Burdick JA, Mauck RL. “Differential maturation and structure-function relationships in mesenchymal stem cell- and chondrocyte-seeded hydrogels.” Tissue Engineering Part A 2008 15(5): 1041-1052
10. Li RT,Gould, H, Hu, E, Salata, MJ, Liu, RW. “Evaluating two methods of determining pelvic rotation when evaluating the false profile radiographic view.” Accepted to Hip International, in press
11. Li RT, Rambhia, S, Gould, H, Sheehan, J, Salata, MJ, Voos JE. “Positional Training Load Differences in Professional American Football Utilizing Global Positioning System (GPS) Wearable Sensors” Submitted to Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach
12. Seshadri D, Li RT, Eng W, Drummond C, Voos, JE. “Synergy of Wearable Devices with Data Analytics in Sports Medicine (Part 1).” Accepted to Nature: Biotechnology
13. Seshadri D, Li RT, Eng W, Drummond C, Voos, JE. “Synergy of Wearable Devices with Data Analytics in Sports Medicine (Part 2).” Accepted to Nature: Biotechnology
14. Li RT,Salata MJ, Rambhia S, Sheehan J, Voos JE. “Does Overexertion Correlate with Increased Injury? The Relationship between Player Load and Soft Tissue Injury in Professional American Football Players Utilizing Wearable Technology” Accepted to Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach, in press
15. Arner JW, Li RT, Lawyer T, Disantis A, Zuckerbraun BS, Mauro CS. “Evaluation and treatment of Sports Hernia.” Submitted to American Journal of Orthopedics
16. Li RT, Rothrauff B, Fu FH. “Augmentation of single bundle ACL tears.” Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Sports Medicine, 2ndEdition
17. Vaudreuil, NJ, Arner J, Li RT, Musahl V. “Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with concomitant lateral extra-articular tenodesis for high grade anterolateral rotatory instability.” Knee Arthroscopy Repository, Pune Knee Course