Timothy E. Harris, MD
You are here
Dr. Timothy E. Harris is a board certified, fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon. He has received numerous awards for his research and teaching, and his peers have repeatedly selected him as one of 'North Carolina's Best Doctors.' He teaches nationally and internationally and has a special interest in joint replacement surgery, including minimally invasive anterior total hip replacements and total knee replacements.
Dr. Harris has expertise in the diagnosis and management of hip and knee arthritis, fractures and adult musculoskeletal deformity. He performs fracture and trauma surgery for the extremities, pelvis and adult reconstructive surgery for post-traumatic and degenerative conditions.
Dr. Harris was born and raised in Lynchburg, VA. He received his bachelor's degree in German from Davidson College and attended medical school at the University of Virginia. He completed his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at the University of Arizona and then continued his postgraduate training with a fellowship in orthopaedic trauma at the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, MD.
Dr. Harris takes pride in treating every patient as an individual. The trust and confidence patients and his peers place in him, as well as his excellent outcomes, have made him popular among patients in the triangle and beyond.
He lives in Raleigh with his wife and four children and enjoys running in his free time.
- Undergraduate: Davidson College, B.A. German, Concentration in International Studies
- Medical School: University of Virginia School of, Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia
Post Graduate Training:
- Internship: University of Arizona Health Sciences Center; Tucson, Arizona, Internship in General Surgery
- Residency: University of Arizona Health Sciences Center; Tucson, Arizona, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- Fellowship: R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, University of Maryland Medical Center, Fellowship in Orthopaedic Traumatology
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Current & Past Appointments:
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, University of North Carolina
Honors and Awards:
- "Best Doctors in America" (2017-2018)
- "Best Doctors in North Carolina" (2017-2018)
- Harry E. Dascomb, MD Award for significant contributions in clinical teaching and care, Wake Area Health Education Center 2013
- "Best Doctors in North Carolina" (2009-2015)
- "Frank C. Wilson Orthopaedic Faculty Teaching Award" given by the graduating
- residents to the faculty member most important to their education. (2012)
- "Clinical Faculty Teacher of the Year" (2008, 2011, 2012)
- University of Arizona Lenoard F. Peltier Award for Excellence in Research
- Arizona Orthopaedic Society Resident Research Competition Winner
- Resident Laboratory Research Recognition Award
- Young Bishop Award - outstanding young alumnus Virginia Episcopal School
- Dean's List for Excellence in Teaching by a House Officer
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Cum Laude