Tyler A. Gonzalez, MD, MBA
You are here
Dr. Gonzalez is a fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon. He earned his Bachelor of Science from University of California Berkeley, MBA from University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Anderson School of Management, and medical degree (MD) from UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. Dr. Gonzalez completed his residency-training in orthopaedic surgery at Harvard Medical School, training at Harvard-affiliated hospitals including Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston Children's Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He then went on to pursue a subspecialty fellowship training in orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery at Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Throughout his career, Dr. Gonzalez has focused on improving patient care, medical education, and research. His committed interest and passion in translational, clinical and biomechanical research has prompted over 75 peer-reviewed scientific publications and presentations as well as several book chapters in orthopedic surgery. Additionally, Dr. Gonzalez routinely lectures in regional, national and international forums on foot and ankle topics and improving value-based patient care. As such, Dr. Gonzalez acts as an active reviewer for both Foot and Ankle International and Foot and Ankle Orthopaedics, and is a member of various foot and ankle surgery societies including: the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS), AOFAS Post Graduate Education Committee and the AOFAS Physicians Resource Center(PRC) Committee.
Dr. Gonzalez has a clinical interest in, foot and ankle reconstruction, ankle replacement surgery, sports-related injuries, cartilage treatment and replacement surgery, minimally-invasive foot and ankle surgery, bunion and hammertoe surgery, ligament and tendon disorders, Charcot Marie Tooth disease, dance medicine and orthopedic trauma. These interests have lead Dr. Gonzalez to serve as an Assistant Team Physician to both the Los Angeles Ballet and American Contemporary Ballet as well as be the Program Chair to the Charcot Marie Tooth Think Tank Meeting in Chicago, IL.
Outside of these clinical interests, Dr. Gonzalez passions include medical education, healthcare management and policy, entrepreneurship, patient quality and safety, value based healthcare research and clinical outcomes research. While a originally a California native – Dr. Gonzalez has moved to North Carolina with his wife, daughter and dog named Cali. If you find Dr. Gonzalez in the community, don’t be surprised to see him playing soccer, fishing, hiking and traveling the world with his family.
Memberships & Publications:
- Walley KC, Gonzalez TA, Nandyala S , Macauley A , Elnabawi Y,Rodriguez EK, Appleton PT." Does the Use of Locking Screws Decrease the Rate of Hardware Removal in Ankle Fractures? Accepted for publication Foot and Ankle Specialist December 2018
- Gonzalez TA, Charlton T, Thordarson D. "Current Concepts in the Treatment of Advanced / End Stage Hallux Rigidus" Orthopaedic Video Theater during the 86th Annual Meeting AAOS. To be presented March 2019
- Gonzalez TA, Ready, L , Chiodo C, Smith JT, Bluman E. "Treatment of Hallux Valgus Deformity Using a Suture Button Device- A Preliminary Report" Accepted for publication Foot and Ankle Orthopaedics August 2018. " Does the Use of Locking Screws Decrease the Rate of Hardware Removal in Ankle Fractures? Accepted for publication Foot and Ankle Specialist December 2018
- Borenstein T, Gonzalez TA, Denhartog B, Thordarson DT. "Preliminary Experience Using Bioactive Glass Wedges for Cotton Osteotomy" Accepted for publication Foot and Ankle Orthopaedics June 2018.
- Walley K, Gonzalez TA, Ayanardi, M. " The Role of 3D Reconstruction True Volume Analysis in Osteochondral Lesions of The Talus" Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication March 2018.
- Pfeffer G, Gonzalez TA, Zapf M, Nelson T, Metzger M. "Achilles Pull-out Strength after Open Calcaneoplasty for Haglund’s Syndrome" Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication March 2018.
- Hoseini M, Riedel MD, Gonzalez TA, Kwon JY, " Is it "fractured" or "broken"? A patient survey study to assess injury comprehension after orthopaedic trauma". The Archives of Bone and Joint Surgery Accepted for Publication May 2017
- Gonzalez TA , Blaise M, Hoseini M, Kwon JY, "Overtightening of the Syndesmosis Revisited and the Effect of Syndesmotic Malreduction on Ankle Dorsiflexion". Injury. Accepted for publication March 2017
- Ehrlichman LK, Gonzalez TA, Macaulay A, Kwon JY . "Gravity Reduction View: A Novel Radiographic Technique for the Evaluation and Management of Weber B Fibula Fractures" . The Archives of Bone and Joint Surgery. Accepted for publication March 2017.
- Gonzalez TA, Stanbury S. Floyd E. , Blazar P. Earp B "The Effects of Stretcher- Based Hand Tables on Operating Room Efficiency at a Day Surgery Center" . Orthopedic Journal Harvard Medical School. Accepted for publication February 2017
- Gonzalez TA, Fisk E, Chiodo C , Smith J, Bluman E. "Economic Analysis and Patient Satisfaction Associated with Outpatient Total Ankle Arthroplasty". Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication November 2016.
- Kwon JY, Gonzalez TA, Riedel MD, Hoseini MG. "Proximity of the Lateral Calcaneal Artery with a Modified Extensile Lateral Approach Compared to Standard Extensile Approach" Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication August 2016.
- Gonzalez TA, Chien B, Ghorban Hoseini M, Kwon JY. " The Mini Open Approach To Weber B Fibula Fractures". The Archives of Bone and Joint Surgery. Accepted for publication August 2016.
- Gonzalez TA, Kwon, JY. " Surgical Technique Guide for Calcaneus Fracture Fixation". Trimed Calcaneus Fracture Fixation System. Accepted for publication August 2016.
- Walley, KC, Bajraliu, M, Gonzalez, TA, Nazarian, A. "The Chronicle of a Stainless Steel Orthopaedic Implant". The Orthopaedic Journal at Harvard Medical School. Accepted for Publication May 2016.
- Gonzalez TA, Hsu R. Chapter 14. Congenital Foot, Ankle, and Lower Extremity Conditions in Pediatric Foot and Ankle Conditions. Accepted for Publication May 2016.
- Gonzalez TA, Ehrlichman LK, Macaulay A, Gitajn IL, Toussaint RJ, Zurakowski D, Kwon JY. "Determining Measurement Error for Bohler’s Angle and the Effect of X-Ray Obliquity on Accuracy". Foot and Ankle Specialist. Accepted for publication February 2016.
- Stenquist D , Gonzalez TA, Tepolt, F, Kramer DE, Kocher MS. "Calcaneofibular Ligament Transfer for Recurrent Peroneal Tendon Subluxation in Pediatric and Young Adult Patients". Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. Accepted for publication December 2015.
- Riedel MD, Gonzalez TA, Kwon JY. "How much is too much? A guide to appropriately bending ball-tip guide wires when using intramedullary nails for the treatment of lower extremity long bone fractures". Injury. Accepted for publication December 2015.
- Gonzalez TA, Macaulay A, Ehrlichman LK, Drummond R, Mittal V, DiGiovanni CW. "Arthroscopically Assisted Versus Standard Open Reduction and Internal Fixation Techniques for the Acute Ankle Fracture: Is There a Difference?". Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication November 2015.
- Gonzalez TA , Watkins, C, Drummond R, Wolf JC , Toomey EP, DiGiovanni CW. "The Trans- Fibular Approach to Posterior Malleolus Fracture Fixation: A Technical Note". Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication October 2015 .
- Hayes B, Gonzalez TA, Chiodo C, Bluman E, Smith J. "Ankle Arthritis: You Can’t Always Replace It". Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Accepted for publication August 2015.
- Gonzalez TA, Chiodo CP. " ICD 10: A Primer for the Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon". Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication July 2015.
- Gonzalez TA, Kwon, JY. Sinus Tarsi Approach for Calcaneus Fractures, in: Fu F. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2015: Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia PA. Accepted for publication June 2015.
- Gonzalez TA, Lucas B, Miller TJ, Gitajn IL, Zurakowski D, Kwon JY. "Posterior Facet Settling and Changes in Bohler’s Angle in Operatively and Non-Operatively Treated Calcaneus Fractures: Implications for Management". Foot and Ankle International. Accepted for publication May 2015.
- Gonzalez TA, Bluman EM, Palms D, Smith JT, Chiodo CP. "Operating Room Time Savings with the Use of Splint Packs: A Randomized Controlled Trial". The Achieves of Bone and Joint Surgery. Accepted for Publication May 2015.
- Hayes B, Gonzalez TA, Chiodo C, Bluman E, Smith J. ICL 65: Ankle Arthritis: You Can’t Always Replace It. Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 65 Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2015. Accepted for publication January 2015.
- Brophy R, Silvers HJ, Gonzalez TA, Mandelbaum BR. "Gender influences: the role of leg dominance in ACL injury among soccer players". Br J Sports Med 2010 Aug;44(10):694-7. Epub 2010 June.